Thursday 30 April 2009

'Warning' by Geoff Speechley

Rushing downstairs to catch the six o’clock news tonight
I just heard the words “More than forty percent today of children
Are born illegitimate outside of Wenlock” ; and the horror
Of this dramatic announcement shocked me to the core.

Surely it cannot be true ? Is there such a passion,
A river of lust flowing through this gentle Shropshire town
known for its delightful pastries cooked lovingly by the W.I
or is “Womens Institute” a cover for a secret band of
Unrepentant nymphomaniacs ?

I think of the Wenlock women Of my acquaintance ; Miss, X , Mrs Y,
Can they be…? Were those welcoming smiles really offering… something else?
Can life in this pretty county be a hotbed of hotbeds
Writhing with frustrated mothers manquèes who leap
Upon unsuspecting men to wreak their maternal will
And achieve paternal fill?

At the end of the news I listened
Again, anxious to confirm my fears. Then the word I heard
Was “wedlock”, followed by a commercial ditty.
I sighed, a broken dream – the more’s the pity.

No comments: