Saturday 29 August 2009

'You Must Remember This' by Tom Wentworth

“Geoff,” said Margery, wiping her hands on a dishcloth. “Do you think I’m losing my memory?”
“What’s brought this on?” said Geoff, peering over his copy of The Guardian. It was typical of Margery to find something to worry about, especially since the children had left home, but he hoped that there was nothing wrong.
“Well...” She sat down, laying the dishcloth on the table in front of her. “I went shopping, and then I got talking to Irene yesterday in the High Street… and even though it was on my list I still came back without any biscuits… the one’s you like.”
“Oh. Well…” said Geoff, feeling suddenly relieved. “We all do that; go upstairs and find we didn’t bring down the thing that we went up for.” Geoff tried not to let his face betray his disappointment. It was coffee time and he reflected that a buscuit would have slipped down very nicely with a cup of that new richly blended coffee that Margery liked to buy from Sainsbury’s.
Margery set Geoff’s mug on the table and sat down, but he had already started getting up. “It’s alright, I’ll take mine into the other room.”
Margery watched him go, knowing that she’d get no peace now, as Geoff would be wanting to come in to show her things from one of their many photograph albums. It was his current interest and while she didn’t mind, it was nice, occasionally, to have some peace and quiet. The children had filled there lives for so many years…
“Love,” Geoff pondered as he re-entered the kitchen. “You know when we first met…? I was just looking at that photograph. “
“Yes,” she said. “Outside the Town Hall. After seeing a production of.… oh, you know, one of those Gibert and Sullivan operas.”
“Trial By Jury” supplied Geoff.
“That’s right. Never my favourite.”
“It was such a special evening. The start of something…” Geoff’s eyes were alight all off a sudden and Margery thought how well he looked.
“As we walked out into the town, I thought this is where I want to spend the rest of my life and on my arm is the woman that I want to share it with.
Margery was sure that she could feel herself blush but said nothing. Then Geoff continued, “…and then I said that you were a very pretty girl.” Geoff was in full flow, lost in the moment but suddenly Margery couldn’t hear him.
“No you didn’t.” She looked straight into Geoff’s eyes with sudden accusation in her own. “You said I was the most beautiful girl in the world.”
They looked at one another.
“Did I?” Geoff said with a surprised smile.
“Oh yes,” said Margery with a smile. “Now, I do remember that.”

No comments: