Sunday 12 October 2008

Further to Nordy Bank Photograph

Tony Gunn has provided these notes to add background to the photograph he sent us:

Some years ago Marilyn and I found that this was a great place to unwind and we would take the forty-minute drive on a summer evening to where we could sit on a bank and (to steal a phrase from one of Steinbeck’s characters) help the sun to set. The isolation, absence from road noise and so on made it exceptionally attractive to us.

Over time we have explored Brown Clee in all weathers and in all seasons. Though nothing ever improved on those sunsets. I have carried a camera since I was in my mid teens and photographs are a part of my life. The photo you have chosen was an attempt to capture the lengthening shadows and the mixed blessings of the isolation experienced by those few who live on the hill.

No comments: